A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors

The A Nightmare on Elm Street series has just been released on beautiful Blu-ray, in a box-set crammed with all manner of exclusive special features. In the run up to Halloween I’ll be revisiting all seven films and taking a look at the extra features.

Next up is A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors; not only one of the stronger entries in the series, but also a thrilling fantasy-horror in its own right. While the tone is much lighter than the previous instalments, thanks to the involvement of Wes Craven, it is not without its darker moments; that the main characters are the troubled teen-aged residents of a psychiatric hospital, and the predominant themes are mental illness, familial dysfunction and teenage suicide, is highly telling of Craven’s involvement. It’s not all doom and gloom though, as a comic book/super-hero feel prevails, and Krueger is firmly established as the wise-cracking anti-hero that would make him a pop-icon of the Eighties.

Head over to Eye for Film to read my full review of the film and its special features.

Comments

Roman J. Martel said…
Now this movie... I liked a lot. It feels like a natural extension of the first film. Yeah it starts going into a full fledged fantasy mode at times, but all those moments actually end up working. Freddy is still pretty darn powerful in this film, and that gives the film an oppression that the previous one lacked. I also like how they worked the teen issues into the script. IN my mind this is the best of the Nightmere sequels, and a perfect place to stop watching if you want to keep your fear of Freddy intact.

I'm curious to read your upcoming reviews of the rest of the series. I remember it going downhill after this one, but I admit I haven't seen this flicks in many many years.
James Gracey said…
Thanks for stopping by to comment, Roman. It has been a lot of fun revisiting Elm Street. While I think Part 3 is pretty cool, I find the later entries a bit of a chore to get through; until New Nightmare that is. It is a personal favourite - I think it's right up there with the original film.

Popular posts from this blog

Razors: The Return of Jack the Ripper

Dear Scream...

Diabolique Magazine’s Ultimate Halloween Movie Night