Saturday, 15 May 2010

Paranormal Entity

Paranormal Activity Paranormal ENTITY is about a young, middle class couple (Oops. Wrong film.) family who are increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be demonic but is certainly most active in the middle of the night.

Especially when they sleep. Or try to. They decide to videotape the ‘activity’ on a series of strategically placed cameras throughout the house. And on handheld cameras when events need to be conveyed with a sense of immediacy or urgency.

It is impossible not to make reference to Paranormal Activity while talking about Paranormal Entity. This is an attempt at a carbon copy, but it is a pale imitation. Whereas Activity drew its audience into the story with slow-burning chills, Entity director mistakes tension for tedium, and slow-burning terror for crass jump shocks and this film becomes repetitious and predictable much too early on.

In the grand tradition of Transmorphers, I Am Ī©mega and The Day The Earth Stopped, Paranormal Entity is the latest mock-buster from The Asylum, a production company famed for producing titles that capitalise on productions by major studios. Not that Paranormal Activity could ever be referred to as a major production – but it certainly did well enough at the box office to warrant its own entertaining though fairly redundant rip-off pale imitation.

Head over to Eye for Film to read my full review…

4 comments:

Dolewhite said...

I've heard it's better than expected and you always know what you're getting into with Asylum films. Still, good or bad, well, bad or bad, I still have a soft spot in my heart for them. So, I'll still check this one out, but I'm glad you took a little bit of the oddly developed hype I have picked up from other reviews.

Simon said...

I thought you were talking about a European release of Paranormal Activity for a minute...

Have you reviewed Suspiria, by any chance?

James said...

Jeez, Dolewhite, you sure look a lot like my amigo Matt from off of Chuck Norris Ate My Baby. And in hindsight, I reckon my review of Paranormal Entity was a little harsh - like being overly critical of a kid with learning difficulties. Or something. You kinda know what to expect from The Asylum, and I too have a soft spot for those movies! I always seem to root for the underdog. ;o)

Simon I have indeed reviewed Suspiria... it be here... http://watchinghorrorfilmsfrombehindthecouch.blogspot.com/2009/04/suspiria.html

Carl (ILHM) said...

Theres no mistaking that The Asylum left their tainted mark on the film, but if anything I thought this one discredited PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, since they were able to basically recreate many of the same scares with much less talent lol..