The Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award nominations have just been announced. Now in their thirteenth year, the awards honour ‘the best in classic horror research, creativity and film preservation.’ Much to my surprise and delight, I’ve been nominated (for a second time) for an award in the Best Article category. The article, 'Family Man' (a look at Tobe Hooper’s meaty representations of the family unit in all its deadly, dysfunctional and dynamic forms), was published in issue 20 of Diabolique Magazine in March/April, 2014.
If you feel like it, please vote for me. You can vote for as many or as few nominees/categories as you like.
Check out all the nominees here.
Please also consider voting for these fine folks; then just copy and paste the below into an email to email@example.com. Remember to include your name to ensure your vote counts. Polls close at midnight on Sunday 19th April. Good luck, everyone!
11. BEST BOOK OF 2014 - SUBVERSIVE HORROR CINEMA: Countercultural Messages of Films from Frankenstein to the Present, by Jon Towlson (McFarland, softcover, 256 pages, $45). Brings insight and social analysis to films rare and familiar.
12. BEST MAGAZINE OF 2014 - Paracinema
13. BEST ARTICLE (Please select two; one will win) – ‘Family Man’ by James Gracey, DIABOLIQUE #20. How the films of Tobe Hooper disrupted the traditional film family.
Please also consider voting for ‘Lady Impunity’ by Max Weinstein, DIABOLIQUE #22. The blood-filled legacy of the life of Countess Elizabeth Bathory.
15. BEST ALL-AROUND ISSUE – DIABOLIQUE #22: Dark side of feminine horror, from Carmilla to childbirth to Bathory.
17. BEST COVER - DIABOLIQUE #22 by Robert Aragon.