Audiodrome: Under the Skin

Jonathan Glazer’s abstract sci-fi chiller follows the gruesome exploits of an extraterrestrial predator disguised as a beautiful woman (Scarlett Johansson) who feeds on the lifeforce of unsuspecting men she abducts while driving around Scotland. A provocative rumination on the idea of what it is to be human, the film features a fittingly moody score courtesy of Micachu And The Shapes front-woman, Mica Levi.

The classically trained Levi cites John Cage, strip-club music and euphoric dance as her main influences for this, her first film score. Pulsing between sensual and sinister, her music for Under the Skin creates a chilling sense of space and cosmic vastness.

Head over to Paracinema to read my full appraisal and listen to a track.

Comments

Aylmer said…
I'm haunted by this film. Just an amazing work of art. Was just about to do my own post on it too :)

Sounds like my reading of it is slightly different to yours (I'm quite possibly wrong). Rather than taking their life force, I thought she was collecting the men as samples or specimens.

Great score and sound design too!
James Gracey said…
It is indeed truly haunting, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on it! I also thought she may have been collecting specimens, but when I read a couple of interviews with Mica Levi I started to think she was taking their life-force; cancelling them out of existence. Either way - haunting stuff. I must revisit soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Razors: The Return of Jack the Ripper

Dear Scream...

Behind the Couch Turns 8 Years Old!